RR Donnelley is Apple’s printer-of-record and the largest B2B owner of print factories globally. In 2018, Apple shut down their Photos app printing services, but opened up to 3rd party photo services. RR Donnelley created Motif Photos as their first B2C business, and my team was tasked with taking the app to market. We launched in 32 countries for Mac Photos, iPhone, and iPad.
As Design Lead at Motif Photos, I work alongside business leadership to implement operational needs for design and advance design’s role in cross-departmental conversations; with the end goal being to continually drive an elevated, unified experience across all channels that makes it easy for our creators to succeed.
I am responsible for designOps, research, branding, information architecture, interaction design, and visual design for the pre and post-app user experience.
- Identified workflow efficiencies: Saving the company net $200K annually and reducing web development time 98.7% by implementing a headless CMS + static site web stack allowing content editors to launch web pages in 1/2 a day (down from 5.5 weeks via offshore development agency).
- Defined design toolsets and processes: Established a collaborative brand book and design system hub in Notion that facilitated stakeholder discussions and contributions, resulting in a 56% weekly active member rate in the first month of launch.
- Roadmap prioritization strategy: Led quarterly workshops where our team evaluates all requests and initiatives by cost vs effort. We prioritize our top-scoring quick and strategic wins into upcoming roadmaps.
- Design workshop facilitation: Facilitated bi-weekly workshops with 6-8 stakeholders to improve user experience on blog, website, and email channels through iterative cycles of research, design, and feedback gathering.
- Interaction and visual design: Rapidly prototyped motion and design concepts in low and hi fidelity in order to communicate brand direction to stakeholders and direct reports for web and social channels.
- A/B Testing: Improved conversion by 12% on key funnel pages through continuous testing and optimization. Creating a feedback cycle empowered business stakeholders with data-driven decision-making, and in turn garnered business support for the process of iterative design, rapid prototyping, and re-testing of ideas.
Below are slides discussing the various challenges and best practices associated with setting up a new design system and rebranding.